Monday, October 8, 2012

Sharing the news!!!

We spent the entire weekend with family, sharing our big news. Here is how each announcement went!

In-Laws: I really wanted B's grandmother (all 90+ years of her!) to be the first to know. We took her and his parents out to eat. After ordering (and a nervous trip to the bathroom), I showed her the ultra sound picture. Poor thing couldn't see or hear, she said, "What a nice cake!" I told her she was going to be a great-grandmother, before she either heard or the news sunk in, B's mom grabbed the picture! From there it was lots of people talking over one another with excitement! (We did decide to tell them a few days later for a due date since B's dad's birthday is the day before!) B's mom admitted to already buying things for her grandchildren, including pregnancy books.  She was excited to buy more, to which I respectfully shot down.  I hate that babies/ children create SO much consumerism! I'm sure she will give us our first baby-related gift!

My mom/ Brother: My mom's boyfriend was out of town for a week and she wanted to use that as an excuse to meet up with my sister and I. We decided to do lunch, and my mom actually traveled since she wanted to visit a store out here. I picked a brewery that my sister and I enjoyed the food last time we were there. So I waited until she was paying attention to order. "I was going to order 'your light beer' but I will just have a water with lemon- since I am pregnant!" My mom didn't believe me, and wanted to see my belly! My brother arrived a bit later. I put the ultra sound picture in his birthday card. He "aww"ed wen he saw it and seemed pretty excited! My mom then went on to note she was planning on going away in April and this would force her to change her plans! (Well I guess that's up to her!!)

My dad/stepmom: Since my sister was in town, it was easy to arrange time with my dad. We had brunch at his house. They were pretty busy when we got there, cooking and preparing, so I couldn't announce before we ate. Once all of the cleaning was done, we sat in the living room. Ok, we didn't just all come to sit, a few sat, someone else, someone left, a few more sat, one left.... then finally when we were all together, my dad leaves! He came back with a picture he promised me! Once we get it framed it will up in our dining room. Before anyone else could leave- I handed him the onesie all folded up. He held it up and asks if it is a "hint." It took my stepmom a little bit but she screams and hugs me and almost cried! Her reaction was by far the craziest! She then went into all sorts of things I should and shouldn't do (she worked at an OBGYN office) including checking my shoes and pants for tightness! My dad was quiet but happy and congratulated us!

On the way home, we stopped by my step sisters work (she was very busy) to tell her she will be an auntie again! I then called my other step sisters, the one who answered was on her way to meet a new baby and was of course happy!

I also asked my sister to be in the delivery room with us. I have decided she is the only other person I want there. I can't imagine any of the 'mothers' in the room- mine would probably stress me out, and how could I ask any of the others without asking them all, and THAT is just not happening! B and I also talked about how we didn't really plan to tell anyone when I go into labor until the baby is born. This way we don't have anyone breathing down our necks and we will have time to spend on our own with our little one.

Today, I made a few more calls. My mom's sister and mother as well as my dad's sister that I am closest with, and I finally connected with my third stepsister! I wanted to talk to all of these ladies. I don't mind if my dad tells the rest of my other aunts and uncles, although I text them all after he spoke with them.

It feels great! Only 19 days until we tell our friends (unless someone leaks it one Facebook first!)

No comments:

Post a Comment